Dining and feasting together are undeniably the best pleasures of life. Research also shows that sharing meals and eating together makes us happier and healthier. Extensive dining sets are essential if you love to host grand dinners and meals. After all, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and family celebrations are incomplete without a hearty dinner together.
Typically a 72-inch rectangular table can easily fit 6-8 chairs. If your table is wider than the standard measurement, for instance, 48 inches, you can accommodate as many as 10 chairs.
This article will discuss several chair arrangements for a 72-inch table. We will also discuss different settings and layouts for dining sets.
- You can fit 6-8 chairs around a 72-inch rectangular table.
- If your table is 48 inches wide, you can easily fit 10 chairs.
- It is a good idea to assess the place, table accessibility, and placement to determine the correct number of chairs for your table.
- You must keep a 36 inches distance between each chair for formal dining.
- Keep a distance of 90 cm between the wall and the dining table for freedom of movement.
Determining the Correct Number of Chairs for a 72-Inch Table?
If you have a 72-inch table and are planning to buy an adequate number of chairs to complete your dining set, keep the following things in mind.
Assess Your Space
A 72-inch rectangular table is considered a large size for a dining table. You must assess your space before placing it in the room.
There must be ample room for movement, and the area should not look cramped up.
Once you have assessed the space, the next thing is placing the table and maintaining a sufficient distance around it.
You should atleast leave 36 inches of space all around the table to ensure freedom of space. Ensure your dining table is not too close to the wall or other furniture, as it can make your room look congested and suffocated.
A comfortable dining experience’s primary focus is ensuring all your guests have ample space for movement and eating comfortably.
If you feel the chairs are too close to each other, remove a few of them. Ideally, you can place three chairs on the longer side of the table and one chair on each shorter side.
As I have said earlier, your chairs should be at a reasonable distance for easy movement.
They shouldn’t be too apart that you lose the intimate mealtime feeling and not too close that it gets uncomfortable for everyone to eat properly.
Did you know?
The tables were mainly invented for eating meals and playing games. The Egyptians used to play a game called Senet (game of the snake) on a special table with a snake carving in it.
Dining Capacity According to the Setting
Dining areas are not only for intimate family and friend gatherings. You sometimes need to host formal dinners for people from work as well.
Informal dinners are more relaxed; however, you must keep everyone’s comfort in mind. So here are a few seating arrangement rules to help you adapt to several dining experiences.
Related Read : Do Dining Chairs Have to Fit Under the Table?
Formal dining is more sophisticated and official. The guest will require more elbow space and room, cutting the number of chairs you can place around the table. Always keep the chairs 36 inches apart to make room for the guest and offer an exquisite dining experience.
For a 72 inches table in length and 36 inches in width, you can place two chairs on each side and one on each end, making a nice seating of 6 people.
A banquet table also requires a picture-perfect outlook, so make sure the chair has even space to create symmetry and an aesthetically pleasing effect. Additionally, the crockery and cutlery should be readily available so that nobody has to move around much during mealtime.
Moreover, banquet tables have several courses and a complicated table setting. Your guest will definitely need more space to eat comfortably without the feeling of overcrowding.
Family or everyday dining is a more intimate affair. You do not need to be formal in table setting and chair arrangement. Moreover, there is no need for elaborate meal courses.
It is preferred to keep 24 inches distance between the chairs. A closer distance also helps in accessible communication and sharing dishes with each other.
If your table is 36 inches wide, you can easily accommodate three on each side and one on each end. For a table 48 inches wide, you can even add two more chairs on each end, making the seating capacity 10 chairs.
Visual Representation of Dining Chairs Layout
You can arrange your chairs the way you like; however, here is a visual representation to help you perfectly place your chairs around a 72 inches rectangular table.
Photo Courtesy: countrysideamishfurniture.com
Fun Fact: Louis XIV loved food and grand feasts. He invented decorative tables for celebrations.
How Do You Aesthetically Place Chairs Around a 72-Inch Table?
Whether trying to host a formal or a family dinner, aesthetics go a long way. There are a few things to keep in mind while placing your chairs and rectangular tables in order to make things look more symmetrical and organized.
- Make sure the chairs are evenly spaced to create uniformity. Randomly placing the chairs at an uneven distance can make your table look shabby and unorganized.
- Using a bench is an ideal option if you have children over along with guests. Benches do not have arms or backs and are perfect for accommodating more people. Moreover, they are trendy and add an element of style to your dining area.
- Always keep a distance of 90 cm between the walls and the dining table. It will allow guests to move around and make your room more spacious and airy.
- It is also a good idea to keep a distance of 120 cm between the table and the room entrance. Placing the table too close to the door would kill the sophisticated vibe of your dining area.
- Your dining set aesthetics are incomplete without a beautiful rug. Carpets and rugs make your space looks more defined. Moreover, ensure your rug is 90 cm bigger than the rectangular tables on all sides. A larger rug can tangle your chairs, making it harder to pull them in and out.
Also Read: How to Clean Fabric Dining Chairs?
The most important key to enjoying your dinners and meals is to provide comfortable seating for your guest and family members. If you have a larger group of guests at home, cramping more chairs is tempting.
But try to be creative with the seating arrangement rather than making it an uncomfortable experience for everyone. Using benches and small table sets can do the job perfectly for you.